Query string parameters let you relay information to ClickBank when a customer follows your paylink, and let you receive information from ClickBank when a customer purchases your product and is taken to the Thank You page.
The following subjects are covered in this article:
- Passing Information To The Order Form
- Reading Information From The Order Form
- Related Articles
Query string parameters relay information between different pages in the ClickBank order process.
You can use some query string parameters to relay information about a specific customer to the order form. When the customer follows a payment link with these parameters, the information is automatically populated on the order form.
Once the customer has reached the order form and made a purchase, information about the customer and the purchase is passed to the Thank You page via query string parameters. If you want, you can process these parameters to customize the Thank You page.
Using parameters, you can pass information to the ClickBank order form along with the payment link. Some of this information is used to automatically populate some fields in the order form, while other information is used to enable other features.
How It Works
You can send customer data that you've collected to the order form using query string parameters. The order form is then pre-populated with the data you provide, which means that the customer does not have to re-enter it. This can help to improve your order form conversion.
To use this feature, you must first collect information from your customer via lead-gen forms or email campaigns. When a specific customer visits your site and clicks a payment link, you pass that customer's information with ClickBank’s payment link using query string parameters.
In addition to pre-populating the order form, parameters can be used to enable other features.
The query string parameters must be added to the standard Payment Link. For more information about formatting Payment Links, see the Creating a Payment Link article.
Affiliates can also pass parameters along with their HopLink. See the Using Hoplinks article for more information.
The ClickBank payment link can accept the following query string parameters:
Parameters Processed By the Order Form
If you pass the following parameters, they are used to populate the corresponding fields on the order form:
- name – The customer's full name.
- email – The customer's email address.
- st_addr1- Populates the Street Address field for physical product orders.
- st_addr2 - Populates the "Apt / Suite / Other" field for physical product orders.
- country – The two-letter ISO code for the customer's country. For a list of countries and their codes, click here.
- zipcode – The zip code or postal code for the customer's location.
- st_city – The customer's city.
- quantity – The quantity of the product. See the Editable Quantity on the Order Form article for more information.
- coupon – A coupon code to apply to the order. See the Coupons article for more information.
In addition, the following parameter updates the order form settings:
- locale – The language to use for the order form itself. The valid values are:
- DE – German
- EN – English
- ES – Spanish
- FR – French
- IT – Italian
- PT – Portuguese
Parameters Used By Other Features
The following parameters do not populate fields on the order form, but are used by other features.
- cbcart – Used by the cart feature. See the Cart: ClickBank's Multi-Line Transaction Platform article for more information.
- custemail – Used in email-based affiliate attribution. See the Email-Based Affiliate Attribution article for more information.
- paymentmethod – Used to specify a payment method. See the PayPal Direct Link article for more information.
- cbrblaccpt – Used in an upsell flow. See the PitchPlus Upsell Flows article for more information.
- cbfid – Used in an upsell flow. See the PitchPlus Upsell Flows article for more information.
- cbur – Used in an upsell flow. See the PitchPlus Upsell Flows article for more information.
- cbf – Used in an upsell flow. See the PitchPlus Upsell Flows article for more information.
- cbskin – Used to customize the order form. See the Custom Order Form and Advanced Custom Order Form articles for more information.
- altc – Used to attribute lifetime commissions. See the Lifetime Commissions article for more information.
If you want, you can create your own variables to use for tracking purposes. These variables are not processed by the order form, but they are carried forward throughout the purchasing process. Vendor variables use the same general format as our variables, and can use up to 128 bytes.
The format for including parameters is:
Name and Email
In your sales process you might collect the name and email of the customer using a lead generation form. Let’s assume that John gives you his name and email address:
You can configure your Pitch Page to include this information in the ClickBank payment link for the correct customer:
When John clicks on the Buy Now button, the ClickBank order form will be displayed with John's name and email address already filled in.
The customer's country is another example. You can ask your customer to select their country of origin on your Pitch Page as part of the sale process. Once you collect this information, you can then pass it to the ClickBank order form via the payment link. As an example, if your customer selects Germany (DE), then the payment link would be:
When a customer purchases a product, ClickBank passes several parameters from the order form to the Thank You Page. The parameters are listed below. You can use this data to personalize the messaging on your Thank You Page. For example, you could say "Welcome, [Customer's Name]." Personalizing data on the Thank You Page can enhance customer satisfaction.
You can encrypt the parameters passed to some order forms if you want to avoid including personally identifiable information (PII) in the URL. See the Encrypting Passed Parameters article for more information.
The following query string parameters are passed:
- item – The ClickBank item number.
- cbreceipt – The ClickBank receipt number.
- time – The epoch time of the order.
- cbpop – The ClickBank proof of purchase. See the Protecting Your Product article for more information about using this parameter.
- cname – The customer's name.
- cemail – The customer's e-mail.
- ccountry – The customer's country.
- czip – The customer's zip code or postal code.
- cbaffi – The Affiliate nickname.
- Vendor variables – Any vendor variables that you have configured, of up to 128 bytes.
- Creating a Payment Link – This article explains how to create a standard payment link for a single product.
- Encrypting Passed Parameters – This article explains how to encrypt parameters that may contain personally identifiable information.
- Protecting Your Product – This article explains how to keep your product and related pages secure.